TANKERSLEY-L Archives

Archiver > TANKERSLEY > 2003-05 > 1052067294

Subject: [TANKERSLEY-L] Re: Roseda Elizabeth TANKERSLEY, b. 15 Feb 1822, WV
Date: 4 May 2003 10:55:48 -0600

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/XRRBAIB/316.2.1.1.1.1.2.1

Message Board Post:

Jim -- No, I don't think it proves anything. Your skepticism is not only understandable, but admirable. Even though most of the information in the letter seems to be absolutely correct, we do have to remember that Andrew Jackson Monroe Pennington was 78 years old at the time and that he clearly knew a lot less about the Tankersleys than he knew about the Penningtons.

My instinct is telling me that his inclusion of Nancy was probably correct. She's at the very top of the list of children, not an afterthought, and I can't see that he would have had any reason to invent her. I'm not especially worried about her omission from James' and Amanda's wills, since the families of the other four siblings on AJMP's list had been living together in that tri-state corner for at least two generations, and James' estate consisted of his land. It strikes me as entirely logical that he would have left it to the family members who still lived there and could make use of it. Your speculation that the other siblings simply lost touch with Nancy and her family also strikes me as a good possibility.

As for the name "Joe Tankersley," that's anybody's guess. Again, Mr. P. could be absolutely right, which would mean that my tentative theory about Charles' son John is absolutely wrong. But my guess is that he probably never knew his grandfather at all, and we all know that memory does play tricks. That's why I've allowed myself the leeway of considering that he could have been wrong about this. (My mother, who had absolutely all her faculties about her at that age, wasn't able to tell me the first names of any of her grandparents. And she once told me that my grandfather had been raised on a plantation with slaves, when in fact his father had been a tenant farmer and a private in the Confederate army. Apparently she had him confused with my grandmother, whose father had owned a large farm in the north Georgia mountains and had owned a couple of slaves.)

Oh, well. This family may be maddening, but at least they're interesting, n'est-ce pas?

Harriet

This thread: