Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2012-03 > 1331425261

From: Murray Bell <>
Subject: [S-I] 1840 & Methodista
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 19:21:01 -0500

looking for some feedback on a couple of questions.

1. several branches of my family left Ulster for ontario in 1840. What was going on at that time? Were there crop failures in Ulster? Did land open up in Ontario? Was it because of religious discrimination?

2. In ireland they seemed to belong to the church of Ireland. In Ontario they were Wesleyan Methodists. Is it likely they were Methodist in Ireland & only used c of I because of Irish law at the time? Or did they become Methodist in Ontario because of the convenience of Methodist circuit ministers. (don't bother explaining the history of Methodism to me, I understand it)

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

murray