Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2012-02 > 1328831853

From: "Edward Andrews" <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] Aberdeen Butteries
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 23:57:33 -0000

Sorry I snarled, but a it is cultural question, and I'm trying to encourage
my vary quiet list.

Secondly it isn't Irish at all. I don't know why, but traditionally there is
virtually no yeast cookery in the Ulster kitchen. I suspect that it is to do
with the kind of local meal and flour. That is why we eat wheaten and Soda
bread both risen with Bicarbonate of Soda and Buttermilk.

Up here in the North East of Scotland where they do have butteries, which
are delicious if very fattening you are just about as far from Ireland as
you can get and stay on the Scottish mainland.
Edward