Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2012-02 > 1328828485

Subject: Re: [S-I] 17th century Ulster records for Individuals on Montgomery,Hamilton, McDonald plantations
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 23:01:25 +0000

The only records from the early plantations are referring to the undertakers and how many acres they got. Actual rent books of tenants don't exist before the early 1700s and even then they were sparse. I was only able to put two and two together because the land my ancestors were on during the hearth rolls (Tyrone: desertcreat, tullyniskan, killyman) was under Lord Ochiltree of Ayr (Andrew Stewart) who recruited planters from dumfries and galloway where my ancestors were from.

The earliest records I actually found some of the siblings in was Clogher, Tyrone in 1626 (Under English landlords) and Bellaghy, Londonderry (also English). It just goes to show more about what Leyburn said in his book "The Scotch-Irish: A Social History", there were just not enough Englishmen for the amount of land they had to plant and they looked for tenants anywhere, especially native Irish who would always pay the highest rent. Leases were anywhere from 21 years to life and there was a lot of moving around once established in Ulster.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T