Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2012-02 > 1328828426

Subject: Re: [S-I] 17th century Ulster records for Individuals on Montgomery,Hamilton, McDonald plantations
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 23:00:26 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Dave, probably the easiest entry is our old favorite: Hanna "The Scotch Irish" (free at various places including Ancestry, as 'Scots-Irish'). It details the plantation and the first 30 years .

There's the Hamilton and Montgomery website, previously posted, that has a bibliography.

There's Hills' "the McDonnells of Antrim" that is probably still free in google books. The major leases for this estate are in our archives. I think published in Familia. Search montgomery papers Hill in google books to find the Rev. Hill's Plantation Papers and Montgomery Manuscripts.

The PRONI website has detailed histories of these estates and lists deposits of estate records. The FHL may have some records on microfilm. You'd visit www.familysearch.org, select the catelog, and search. What to search is a lot of things: all Ireland (land records), etc, etc. Estate research is ultimately the 'heart' of Irish genealogy. It's hard to do! Usually we're looking for a specific townland. In the case of one in southern Tyrone, it took me quite a long time to figure out that it was part of the arch diocese church estate. However it was leased for a hundred years to a Stewart. I found the estate records in the FHL on microfilm.

The other thing that helps is gazetteers that can give a brief picture of the parish and who the majore landlords were. Most of the time you start with Griffiths, which will id the lessee.

However since many parts of these estates were sold off or merged into other estates due to dynastic marriages, you need to get the history from the PRONI website for the specific areas you're interested in.

I need to finish researching Aghoghill in Antrim. I found my BLACK ancestors were there in the 1700s. However it was split between two estates. When I learned that I felt an overwhelming urge to go find a bottle of wine.

I believe there are the Montgomery Papers on the Montgomery estate. I've not done estate research in Co Down but if I were, I'd go to PRONI's website. You also want to find an index to published articles, like PERSI, because many times major leases, at least, are published in periodicals.

The British Isles Family History Society USA has a guide on line that is very very good:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bifhsusa/irishlinks.html

See here for Finding Aids:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bifhsusa/resire.html

Smith's Inventories is very useful as is Hayes. In a class on this topic, we were also instructed to use NIDS:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bifhsusa/nids/index.html

Here we're talking probably a visit to a major university library.

PRONI'll give you the major history, though.

Linda Merle