Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2012-02 > 1328826882

From: D H <>
Subject: [S-I] 17th century Ulster records for Individuals on Montgomery,Hamilton, McDonald plantations
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 22:34:42 +0000

If only anything was simplistic!

While there is plenty written on the various plantations what I'm stuck on is getting details of who got what, why and when!

I'm looking at Sir Hugh Montgomery, Sir James Hamilton, Sir Randal MacDonnell/McDonald plantations in Antrim, and while I can do my own research I'm
just wondering if anyone can point me at recommended reading which shows records of the individuals and the land each one got please?

Thank you.
DH

I recently purchased Bardon's book on the Ulster Plantation. (google bookers: it was just published so the text ain't in google books). I have not
read very far in this fascinating book; however in the front there are a number of maps. The one has made me realize we, or I at least, have an over
simplistic mental map of the ethnic mapping of the plantation of Ulster .

This is the map on page XVI, The plantation of Ulster 1609-13. It does not include Antrim and Down as they were already colonized by largely Scots
(Sir Hugh Montgomery, Sir James Hamilton, Sir Randal MacDonnell/McDonald

This thread: