Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2012-02 > 1328488503

From: Sharon Oddie Brown <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] Nepotism as a tool in some family histories
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 16:35:03 -0800

Linde, I totally agree - but thought that I had addressed that in the
first paragraph, no?

/Nepotism, particularly in business and government, is regarded as a
dodgy practice. Fair enough, but in the days before the invention and
installation of telegraph lines, it was one of the more reliable ways to
stay connected. Without the feedback loop of today's communication
networks, businessmen needed the trust of both kith and kin to grease
the wheels of commerce.//The idea, let alone the reality, of a digital
village wasn't even a twinkle in the eyes of our great-great-grandparents/

I can see that I could have framed it better in the email describing the
link. The wording came as a result of trying to please the administrator
on the JACKSON sites. It came out kind of constipated as a result. Not
that it even worked. I am in Purgatory - again. He has decided to block
me for inappropriate posts - the same posts that I later sent to other
lists with no problems, kudos even. It is quite disheartening.

By the way - is there any chance that you might be in the deeds registry
in the next bit? I have a couple of look-ups that would be great to
have. No problem if this doesn't work for you. I am hoping to squeeze in
a trip in the autumn. Maybe, maybe. I'd like to get down to Kildare.

Ta,
Sharon
Sharon Oddie Brown, Roberts Creek, BC, Canada. History Project:
http://www.thesilverbowl.com/