Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2012-01 > 1325428773

From: Lunney Family <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] The Montgomerys of 1718...Ballydrain
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 14:39:33 +0000

Yes, sources say he had no children, but I think Cassandra was his
daughter; perhaps illegitimate, or perhaps not? His wife is said to
have met her death by a shock (of creditors who attacked him as he
came into his own house) when she was pregnant, and I suppose it is
possible that she went into premature labour and the baby survived to
become Cassandra Hardy; who seems to have inherited , or at least was
definitely living in Benvarden in the 1790s. Whether it was she and
her husband who benefited from the sale or whether it all or mostly
went to pay off John's creditors I don't know.

Some sources talk about McNaghten jesting about an old prophecy about
the downfall of the family, and perhaps or possibly that is why he
would have named his daughter Cassandra, which is a very uncommon name

If you are interested in the Donegal Montgomerys, Helen Meehan is an
expert on them

This thread: