Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2011-12 > 1323987820

Subject: Re: [S-I] Surname Spellingssss in Deeds/Wills by Clerks
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 22:23:40 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Dave,

My Irish is extremely rudimentary, and I am not being humble but stating a fact. However I recall that there are problems with Irish because it is so different at different ends of Ireland, in the different Gaeltachts. So someone came up with a Dublin version which makes no one happy. In some circles to speak actual Ulster Gaelic is considered the best. I do know a fellow who speaks it and we could ask him your question if no one else knows which is proper Ulster Irish. I seem to recall being taught that Sionnach was fox and I was learning Dublin Irish (forgive me....).

Apparently the differences can be used to help identify where your ancestors came from. The A in McCamie (etc) is supposedly a sound unique to Ulster Irish. Or so I was told.

And I learned that Mulvihill in America is Melville <GRIN>. They forgot that one one census. So the American genealogist employed before me couldn't find them. She was right that she didn't do Irish genealogy <grin>. I stuck to my principles and looked the name up in McLysaght and became a heroine thanks to him.

Linda