Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2011-12 > 1323986824

Subject: Re: [S-I] Surname Spellingssss in Deeds/Wills by Clerks
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 22:07:04 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Dave, I did research for a Melville in the USA. In Limerick the name was Mulvihill. However not all the Mulvihills in Limerick are related either. The ones around the Shannon mouth are not related to his -- up in the hills on the road to Kerry. He's related to the Kerry Mulvihills, who have a 'private marker' -- a rare DNA mutation.

What county were you with these Mulvihills?

BTW, there's a bunch of them in the local cemetery. I never saw them until I began research on this family. Then one day I walked up the hill through the cemetery with my dogs, as I had done innumerable times before -- and there was a huge tombstone that said Mulvihill. All I know of this family is they were from Pittsburgh, well off, and early patrons of the local Catholic church. By early I mean late 1800s/early 1900s....New Kensington is an industrial age invention, home of Alcoa, that didn't exist much earlier.

Linda Merle