Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2011-12 > 1323983443

From: D H <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] Surname Spellingssss in Deeds/Wills by Clerks
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 21:10:43 +0000

In fact it is a lot of sense as they are differentiating between the two, a statement that they are not related.

In the last area I lived there were loads of Mulvihills, anyone looking at records could presume they would all be related somehow...wrong!

But pronounce one wrong and I was instantly corrected as they each pronounced it differently! So you had Mulvihill pronounced Mul va hill.. Mul vee
hill and Mul vih hill and some felt insulted if their name was mispronounced. Church records don't pronounce spellings...

Send my regards to Samule No Limits!!

On 15/12/2011 17:59, wrote:
> All those folk who say, "We are the Grays with an "a" and not that other
> > crowd who spell their name with an "e"" are talking....well, not as lot of
> > sense. This correctness of spelling is a 20th century confection. My
> > McClementses have no less than 13 different spellings from Lamond to
> > McLummints. You can just hear my great grandfather, when asked what his
> > name was for the census saying, "Samule MuLummints" in his broad Ulster
> > twang.

This thread: