Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2011-12 > 1323974950

From: Robert Forrest <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] Surname Spellingssss in Deeds/Wills by Clerks
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 18:49:10 +0000

William McAfee in his excellent CD Rom ‘Researching
Derry/Londonderry Ancestors’ makes the following interesting, illuminative and
informed statements based upon his experience of data-basing thousands of
surnames:

‘Not surprisingly, the spelling of surnames
in the original sources varied a great deal both within and between documents
over the centuries. The names in these documents were entered by various
officials and there is some evidence to suggest that this led to regional
spelling of surnames, particularly in the earlier sources. Certainly, the
spelling of surnames had become more standardised by the time of the Griffith's
Printed Valuation of 1858/59. Remember too, that the originals of the
seventeenth-century Hearth Money Rolls and the eighteenth-century Religious
Returns were destroyed in the 1922 Four Courts fire. The only sources we now
have are transcripts of those originals and many of these are typed, suggesting
that they are probably a transcript of a transcript. Let's not forget that the
databases are further transcripts! In transcription it is relatively easy to
mistake an "e" for an "a" or an "r" for an
"n" and so on.’

‘Surnames in seventeenth-century sources were written down by
officials who, if they were not familiar with the spelling of a surname, spelt
it phonetically in a way that made sense to them. For example, McGoldrick
can be spelt as Megolrake, McCandless as Micandlass, Ewing as Youing, Brewster
as Broster and so on. However, the greatest problem with names in early sources
is the fact that the spellings of some surnames in these documents are
completely different from their modern equivalents e.g. in earlier documents
Alexander often appears as McCalsenor or McElsinor.’