Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2011-12 > 1323770732

From: "john.hume" <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] DNA Made Simple
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 10:05:35 -0000

Many thanks Bill for your information.
This is one of the sticking points about surnames. As a HUME, I become very
'cross' when people insist in putting an 'L' in the middle. Why HULME, as
far as I am concerned there is absolutely no connection. HULME is part of
Lancashire, Manchester etc, whereas HUME is Scottish, and of course spelt
HOME as well. Again in Scotland if you mention HUME or HOME they know
exactly how to spell it HUME.

As with my cousin, TWEEDDALE is a family name and has never been spelt as
TWEEDALE, it's double U, double E and double T, any other variation is not
allowed. Although I do accept the spelling mistake in the 1881 census, it
may have been down to enumerator's interpretation. This is the only example
I can find of this error. However, has he has only two daughters, his branch
of this very small family group will now cease.

Now I know it sounds silly for me to not except any of the variations of my
name, but when ever I am asked my name, I ALWAYS end it by spelling H.U.M.E.
out to the person. My father did the same. So is it a family trait that
unknowingly we have carried on?. When I started 25 years ago, I was able to
research my direct family, using just the IGI, straight back to 1720, this
took about three hours in total. I am then amazed at the difficultly that
'famous/infamous' people seem to have problems even going back to the mid
19th century. Maybe it was all due to the fact that my ancestors could read
and write, thereby ensuring the surname was spelt correctly, obviously I
don't know.

Regarding the message about DNA in Ireland. I was in Belfast and Londonderry
from 1965 -67. I was serving in the Royal Navy and had some splendid 'runs
ashore' in both places, even got invited by a total stranger to a 21st
birthday bash in Carrickfergus, frightens the life out of me now just to
think about what may have happened. If I had known more about my Irish
connections at that time I may have spent more of my time there more
fruitfully. Now I'm thinking of going over next year, but obviously now
having to pay for the privilege. It is a great shame that religion still
plays a bit part over there. To me, it doesn't matter which religion you
are, it is how you behave. I have some excellent friends who are Muslims, I
treat them as they are my own brothers. By knowing them I understand their
own divides in their religion, if you think Ireland has it's problems, try
understanding the Muslims.

As to having your DNA taken, I had mine done for one simple reason, I wish
to know if there are any other members of my own particular branch of the
HUMES out there. Paperwork becomes scarce before 1700, thereby, spending a
£100 on such an easy test, is very good value compared to spending money on
researching something which probably isn't even there. Also, once you
receive your DNA markers, you are updated everytime a connection is made
with your own DNA at all 4 points of markers.

Well,I must be off, playing Santa again today. Only managed to upset five
children yesterday, must do better today.