Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2011-12 > 1322945026

Subject: Re: [S-I] DNA Made Simple
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 20:43:46 +0000 (UTC)

Dear Ed,

I'm sure your post will mystify a number of list members -- those whose ancestors left long ago. I'm not even sure I am certain of which cultural war you are referring to so politely (ie obliquely).

However the cuzzins in the ol' homeland would probably be rather paranoid even if the last 40 years or so had never been. The ISGI (http://www.irishgenealogical.org/) publishes a great journal called "The Septs". One of their authors is an Irishwoman, born and bred, who took a vacation in America and fell in love, and so now she's here. She has set us straight on a number of things, over the years, including the very strange reasons that people assume caused her to leave Ireland, such as starvation due to the (still on-going) Potato Famine.

She wrote an article once explaining why it is that we often don't get much of a welcome from cuzzins back home. I must say here she is most definitely not from the North.

However she told a tale of someone going to meet an old couple in rural Ireland who were to show her some graves (or some such ....). She reached the spot in the road where they were to meet -- a barren stretch with nothing visible in either direction but for their home down a long lane. Drove around a couple times and was about to give up when out of the tall bracken or whatever it was crept this antique couple, all hunched over and looking over their shoulders. They crept into the car. They'd been hiding there. They were worried about the neighbors spying on them and gossiping. What neighbors? There were no other houses anywhere to be seen!!

She had many stories like this.

Besides the paranoia of the Irish, which seems genetic, she also suggested that another cause to the problem was the cuzzins who had returned, since the 1880s or so. These were cuzzins to whom the family farm might have descended. Usually they were long gone and eventually signed over rights to whoever was actually living there still, but once in a while they returned, rich after a life in America, and evicted the poor cousins who had no where else to go. This was many people's worse nightmares. So a letter arriving announcing the return of some never heard of cousins was not necessarily something people greeted with joy. It meant, if there was any money, a trip to the lawyers'. Who knows what these people might want?

Another tale I'll share. I had made the acquaintance with someone of southern Irish origins. A very enthusiastic and boisterous lady, of course. She had become converted to a religion founded in the North: Unitarianism. She had adopted a very enthusiastic and boisterous version of this religion. Off she went to Ireland. Since her family had left only recently, she knew where the cousins were to be found -- living of course on the family farm. When she arrived she set off enthusiastically to liberate them from superstition and ignorance, beginning with the Trinity. Now I am not the world's most religious person, but even I was shocked. However she had little success as they'd had a lot of practice, over the centuries, fending off this kind of crazy. I am sure they now pray daily that the Lord will not return any more crazy relatives from America as they've barely recovered from the last.

So sometimes it is not because our cuzzins are from poor old Ulster at all. The trouble could be that, whether they admit it or not, they're Irish. And we need some lessons in how to not offend them because we may do so very inadvertently.

Of course my grandmother's cousin, living in Stirling, Scotland, never responded to my letter of a few years ago either. Now there's nothing he has that we might want. There is no old farm to be had. Maybe a lump of coal, but that's it. No idea what his problem is or was. One of these days I'm coming over and banging on his door.

Linda Merle