Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2011-11 > 1321947871

From: "John Polk" <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] Subject: "Defenders of the Plantation of Ulster1641-1691" Peek/Pook/Peak
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 02:44:38 -0500

Pollock is a Scottish placename for the area known anciently as "Polloc" on
the sourthwest of Glasgow. There are still suburbs today known as
Pollockshaws and Pollockshiels in the area. Also Pollock House in Pollock
Country Park which is a seat of the Maxwell family. (We lost that land when
we backed John Balliol against Robert Bruce.) The placename was adopted as
a family name back in the 12th century. The name is generally prononced as a
single syllable, rather drawn out, in Scotland and Ulster, so the name
Pollock and Polk are pretty interchangeable in 18th century and before. The
particular spelling depended on the clerk who wrote it down, sometimes in
different ways in a single document. Pogue is also a form of the name but it
might also have separate Gaelic origins, as Bell mentions.

In my own research in Maryland colonial history, in which I have seen many
original source documents. I have seen Peakes and Polk/Pollocks/Pogues but
they appear to be very separate families.

John Polk
Havre de Grace Maryland