Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2011-11 > 1321752426

From: D H <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] Tithe Applotment Books..
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 01:27:06 +0000

It is not that simple! Just take, for example, the townland of Feegavla, as per map. 256 acres, they could easily derive from a family in next townland!

My cousin lives in one townland, opposite his window are 2 fields across narrow road as part of his farm, one field in another townland but in same
parish, the other field in yet another townland but this one in a different parish..so if his sons build 2 houses adjoining each other, with dividing
wall on townland boundary, they would be neighbours but in 2 different townlands and parishes!!

So, if I stand in centre of road outside his front door I can stand in 3 townlands and 2 parishes. Quite a common thing!! The 2 houses would be within
10 yards the homestead...

You need to, at a MINIMUM, check the surrounding townlands.....!! With Eliot/Eliott/Elliott in mind!! Bell spelling is probably safe enough BUT while
researching Halls I did come across Hawls....grrrrrr

Looking at the local churches and when their records start, they are too late, except for Carrickmacross itself in late 1700's....PRONI ref; Mic/1/173/A-E

DH

On 19/11/2011 23:33, wrote:
> Subject: Re: [S-I] Tithe Applotment Books
>
> D H
>
> Good site that I will bookmark. It does tell me that the Bells were gone from Feegavla by Griffiths. No surprise as my ancestor emigrated in 1840.
>
> Also thanks for providing all the different spellings of Figevly& Feegavla. Useful info.
>
> thanks, murray

This thread: