Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2011-08 > 1314041136

Subject: Re: [S-I] Irish genealogy Sites On Line
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 19:25:36 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Sharon,

Here's some info on the history of the Clintons and in particular Christiana Clinton Beatty. The Clintons were once titled English but lost it during the Civil War. Apparently in the American Revolution there were four General Clintons, two on each side. Afterwards, DeWitt Clinton, Gov. of New York, was sealing official state documents with a signet ring that his cousins recognized was that of an earlier earl, I think it was, and they knew they were cousins.

I have this:

Normal
0

false
false
false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

from A Genealogy and
Heraldic History of the Commoners of Great
Britain and Ireland, Vol IV at genealogylibrary.com

"This is a branch of the family of Armstrong, deriving from a
common progenitor with the Armstrongs of Gallen.

"THOMAS ARMSTRONG, esq. (second son of Andrew Armstrong,
esq., by Elizabeth, his second wife, daughter of M. Johnston, esq., and younger
brother of Edmund Armstrong, ancestor of the Armstrongs of Gallen) was born in
the county of Fermanagh, in 1639, and accompanying his brother Edmund, was with
him and many other Royalists taken prisoner at the battle of Worcester, 3rd
September, 1651, and conveyed to London. He subsequently returned to Ireland and
settled at Banagher in the King's county, of which he was one of the Burgesses,
and several times sovereign of the corporation. In his time a new stone bridge
over the Shannon at Banagher was commenced and
Mr. Armstrong had the principal share not only in obtaining the presentment for
raising the money in the county, but also in conducting the progress of the
work. It was finished in the reign of JAMES II., and Margaret, Mr. Armstrong's
eldest daughter was the first female that passed over it.

"During the troubles which ensued after JAMES'S abdication of
the throne, Mr. Armstrong, suffering much from the attacks of the native Irish,
deemed it prudent to retire to some place of security. Accordingly with only
seven followers, chiefly his own servants, all well armed, he set out with the
intention of throwing himself into Mullingar, then strongly garrisoned for King
WILLIAM, but was attacked near New Town, a castle belonging to the family of
Low, by a portion of Geoghegan's regiment, whereupon he retired with his little
party into the court-yard of the castle, and there resolutely defended himself
until he was relieved by a troop of horse from Mullingar. In the action,
however, he received a ball in his thigh, and the wound, being unskilfully
dressed, brought on a fever, of which he died at Kinnegad a few days after.

"He m. Grissel, sister of Captain Charles Beatty, of the
county of Longford, and had, by her, who d. in 1680, three sons and four
daughters, viz. I. JOHN, who engaged early in a military life, and was a lieutenant in Lord Barrymore's regiment of foot in garrison at Gibraltar, then closely besieged by the Spaniards. It happened that, while walking with the Prince of Hesse (the governor) and several other officers that were off duty, a party that had been ordered to burn the enemy's fascines, appeared, but the officer, under whose command they were to act, not being ready, Mr. Armstrong volunteered to perform the arduous duty. His offer was readily accepted and marching directly to the ground set the fascines on fire. He received however a wound from a
cannon ball in the head, of which he
died in 1704, in the 37th year of his
age.

II. ANDREW, heir to his father.

III. James, died at Ghent,
in the 23rd year of his age.

I. Margaret, b. in 1671, m. in 1701, Captain William Charleton, of Curraghstoun
(afterwards Mount Charleton, in Meath, and had a son Thomas Charleton, and a
daughter Elizabeth Charleton, m. to Theobald Wolfe, esq. barrister at law.

II. Catherine, m. to Oliver,
youngest son of Sir Edward Crofton, bart. and
survived his widow, with an only son Sir Oliver Crofton, bart. III.
Anne, m. to William Beatty, esq. and had issue.

IV. Elizabeth, m. to Mr. Courts. The second but eldest surviving son,"Note the marriage to Grissell, sister to Capt. Beatty of County Longford. If you check the pay rolls for the Irish army in the mid 1600s, you'll find this man and a Clinton, also from the same County, on the payrolls as officers. The Clintons were originally Royalists in the early 1600s and as such fled to Scotland with Charles and later invaded England with him. After the battle of Worcester, they were in Ireland, where the head of the family died, leaving an infant son James. WHen he came of age he attempted to regain estates in England, lost by his father. He married Elizabeth SMITH and had CHARLES. Charles became a dissenter. With the accession of the house of Hannover (after Cromwell), Charles, then 40, decided to emigrate to America, which he did with friends and family, leaving Dublin in may of 1729 and not reaching Cape Cod till October. Clinton lost a sons and two daughters. They moved in the spring to New Windsor, NY, in 1731, and 'formed a nucleus of that industrious body of Presbyterians in and around Little Britain". Clinton became judge of Common Pleas for the county of Ulster and had four sons. The two oldest became physicians, James, b. 1736. He married Mary De Witt, of a Dutch family. Charles died in 1773. James was a Col. in the New York Line and was made a Major General at the close of the war. His brother George was governor of New York. (from "The Origin of Orange County, New York and a list of its people from 1683 to 1847: abstracted from Eager's History of Orange C...." (Ancestry).Christiana Clinton's father was Henry Clinton and her mother Elizabeth Smith. "Sir Henry Clinton, had William by his second wife. He was of Kirkstead, Lincolnshire, and was the third son of Henry, Earl of LIncoln. Landed Gentry P 2555. Her father was WIlliam Smith, who was the man I alluded to.....

Normal
0

false
false
false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Army Lists 1661-1685

Charles
Dalton (London,
1907) 929.6 Dalt n10688. See also
Reports on the Mss’s of the Marquis of Ormond preserved at The Castle,
Kilkenny, published by the Historical Mss Commission.
Has

Normal
0

false
false
false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

22 March 167 4/5 Troops of horse has

Normal
0

false
false
false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Sir Charles Hamilton Capt
Fras Preston Lieut
Philip Cecill Cornet
John Beatty Qtr Master
He appears in

Normal
0

false
false
false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Muster 25 Dec 1678 and in 1678 Wm Clinton is Lieut.

Normal
0

false
false
false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Somewhere I have more info on Capt. Wm. Smith but I'm not finding it right now. Some sources claim he was Irish, but they're mistaken. But Where the info is I donno. My records keeping, back when I was research this, was very substandard.....

Linda Merle