Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2011-05 > 1305130219

From: Judy Anderson <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] DNA
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 16:10:19 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Linda,

I am going to try to rewrite this better:

My ancester traveled with a man from Ballyhemlin, Antrim, Ireland.  Ballyhemlin being a stones throw from Bushmill's , Antrim, Ireland.  I know the man was from Ballyhemlin based on the will he left when he died.  I do not know exactly where my ancestor came from in Antrim but assumed because his friend was from Ballyhemlin he lived close to that area. (Based on the times)

We just got a DNA match 67 markers 1 distance with the last name Anderson.  The matches ancestor came from Bushmill's, Antrim, Ireland.  Paper trails are good after Ireland..  So my question is how to proceed.  It doesn't sound as if 67 markers is much proof.

Regards

Judy

Sent: Monday, May 9, 2011 5:59:44 PM

Hi Judy,

You are saying you have the presumed point of origin of the ancestor as supported by a friend or neighbor who lived near him all his life?

And you have a DNA match with someone who also emigrated to a different place????

It would seem that you are trying to prove that the man came from Ballyhemlin (presumedly, County Down??)? Unless the 67 marker match has a good paper trail back to this area of County Down, you may need to do some research to find a person with the right name, etc, in the area (or descended from such a person via a good paper trail) and test him.

The problem I'm having is I don't know enough.

Since you know where he may have come from, probably you've vacuumed up what you can from Raymond's site and others regarding the surname in that area. Presumably you know his religion and the instances of the surname in congregations close by, even if later than your ancestor.

You should be working with the Ulster Heritage DNA project: Does it have other close matches nearby?

So tell us more about who this 67 marker match is and what info you have on him.

It's not terribly hard to trace down descendants of people with the same surname in your village in County Down. If you can't find any locally, I suggest you check for emigrants in Australia and New Zealand as they kept much better records and it is more likely their village of origin is noted on ship lists and death records.

But if the 67 marker match has a paper trail to the same village you might have all the proof you need.

Linda Merle