Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2011-05 > 1305130219

From: Judy Anderson <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] DNA
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 16:10:19 +0000 (UTC)
In-Reply-To: <793919082.95127.1304989184734.JavaMail.root@sz0165a.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net>

Hi Linda,

I am going to try to rewrite this better:

My ancester traveled with a man from Ballyhemlin, Antrim, Ireland.  Ballyhemlin being a stones throw from Bushmill's , Antrim, Ireland.  I know the man was from Ballyhemlin based on the will he left when he died.  I do not know exactly where my ancestor came from in Antrim but assumed because his friend was from Ballyhemlin he lived close to that area. (Based on the times)

We just got a DNA match 67 markers 1 distance with the last name Anderson.  The matches ancestor came from Bushmill's, Antrim, Ireland.  Paper trails are good after Ireland..  So my question is how to proceed.  It doesn't sound as if 67 markers is much proof.

Regards

Judy

From:
Sent: Monday, May 9, 2011 5:59:44 PM
Subject: Re: [S-I] DNA

Hi Judy,

You are saying you have the presumed point of origin of the ancestor as supported by a friend or neighbor who lived near him all his life?

And you have a DNA match with someone who also emigrated to a different place????

It would seem that you are trying to prove that the man came from Ballyhemlin (presumedly, County Down??)? Unless the 67 marker match has a good paper trail back to this area of County Down, you may need to do some research to find a person with the right name, etc, in the area (or descended from such a person via a good paper trail) and test him.

The problem I'm having is I don't know enough.

Since you know where he may have come from, probably you've vacuumed up what you can from Raymond's site and others regarding the surname in that area. Presumably you know his religion and the instances of the surname in congregations close by, even if later than your ancestor.

You should be working with the Ulster Heritage DNA project: Does it have other close matches nearby?

So tell us more about who this 67 marker match is and what info you have on him.

It's not terribly hard to trace down descendants of people with the same surname in your village in County Down. If you can't find any locally, I suggest you check for emigrants in Australia and New Zealand as they kept much better records and it is more likely their village of origin is noted on ship lists and death records.

But if the 67 marker match has a paper trail to the same village you might have all the proof you need.

Linda Merle

From: "Judy Anderson" <>
Sent: Monday, May 9, 2011 8:30:43 PM
Subject: Re: [S-I] DNA

Linda,

Just when you think you have it sacked! This is soooooo complicated. Each family has paper trail from the US to Canada or to Canada from Ireland.

So now I need some opinion when our immigrant ancestor left Ireland he was with a man we know was from Ballyhemlin. I know this from his will. This man left family behind which I also know from the will. I have just gone on the assumption that these two men had to have lived in close proximity in North Antrim. They never parted until their deaths they were neighbors.

So now I am totally lost as what direction to go. If DNA keeps changing. Any ideas?

Thanks Linda.

Judy

From:
Sent: Monday, May 9, 2011 4:54:30 PM
Subject: Re: [S-I] DNA

Hi Judy, most would say that's a match. However the gurus may debate depending on the exact marker or other characteristics of the familiar DNA. Most would also want some kind of paper trail verification. Sixty seven points of comparision, given the complexity of just the Y chromie isn't very exact at all. It is possible to match someone that you have nothing in common with. The match could have come about various ways besides direct heredity: two independent mutations or even back mutations (DNA continued to mutate but 'back' towards an ancestral pattern).

The DNA Newbie list at rootsweb might be able to give you a better explanation. If it's in Ulster and both are a member of the Ulster Heritage DNA project, the admin may be able to respond with an affirmation of relatedness.

I just asked the R1b1c7 list about two samples and they ignored me, being heavily embroiled in a discussion on medieval Campbell lines and what DNA proves (apparently that the Lamonts descend from the Campbells). With the Newbie lists, you don't get ignored as often. It's hard to compete with some long dead Campbells!!

Over on the Genealogy DNA lsit they're discussing 111 markers and what's in the test and what seems to be missing and what it all means. Beats me!!

However the rest of us will buy you a Guinness if you show up nearby. Good work!

Linda Merle

From: "Judy Anderson" <>
Sent: Monday, May 9, 2011 7:42:49 PM
Subject: [S-I] DNA

Hello,

Last week I enquired about 25 marker perfect matches. Today I am hoping to get a better understanding of 67 marker perfect matches with a distance of one. Any help would be appreciated.

Judy

To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

From:
Sent: Monday, May 9, 2011 4:54:30 PM
Subject: Re: [S-I] DNA

Linda Merle

From: "Judy Anderson" <>
Sent: Monday, May 9, 2011 7:42:49 PM
Subject: [S-I] DNA

Hello,

Judy

From:
Sent: Monday, May 9, 2011 5:59:44 PM
Subject: Re: [S-I] DNA

Hi Judy,

The problem I'm having is I don't know enough.

Linda Merle