Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2011-05 > 1304340930

Subject: Re: [S-I] 25 marker DNA
Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 12:55:30 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Judy, being I in Ireland doesn't change anything. There are various types. Some are considered 'indiginous' in that they've been there for a thousand years or more. The main line of O'Neills is I due to a NPE that they believe occurred a thousand years ago.

I don't know how you persuade someone to upgrade. You can tell them they've wasted their money. I have found some respond to the argument that by upgrading and staying current you contribute to scientific advancement. Others could care less! You can tell them if they really hope to find any useable results, then upgrade. Otherwise they can expect no additional help from you (as admin) or from DNA genealogy in general. And this is so true. As someone who lurks on the primary DNA lists, I can tell you that unless you have 67 markers no one will waste any time on you.

Before long they'll ignore everyone without 111 markers.

I just sent my dad's kit into 23andme. We know his Y haplo group. We don't have my grandmother's mito (A Dalrymple: Scots or middle eastern like the rest of us!!) and with his autosomal test we can distinguish between cousins on our fathers and our mother's sides. Most of both my parents ancestors originated between Hadrian and the Antonine Walls. They had to have multiple relationships way back. My father's mother (a Dalrymple) - her family were probably indiginous to eastern Stirlingshire, from the surnames and the research I've done)....my mother has Forresters, a large, predatory lowland clan in western Stirlingshire....Both had Beatties.

We just had a case where someone contacted me regarding a large seg we shared. The software pronounced us 4th cousins. We shared a fw surnames but no idea...the most likely one I only go back to my great great grandfather - 3rd cousins. She did some great work narrowing down the possible line by comparing us with a third cousin she found with DNA research -- and we all got the same seg. Checked my sister -- she doesn't match at all. We receive 50% of each parent's DNA. My sister didn't receive this seg at all. This points out the importance of testing multiple people unless you like flying with one wing (50% of your parents' DNA markers). With only yours, you are missing 50% of the cousins you are related to. It would seem it's best to try to test a cousin, not another sib, in the hopes he/she got different grandparents' DNA than your parents did.

But at least with my father's test, we'll be able to tell if the match is on my mother or father's side.

Sometimes offering to pay for the test is the only thing that works. My one client paid for the testing of many 'cousins'. Since he's clearly northwest Irish and not Scottish (only matches in Tyrone -- seems no doubt about his origins -- there is M222 in Scotland but he was there we'd surely have matches by now, but we don't)...... his cousins are doing a good job of ignoring all his dearly paid for results.

It's hard to make the lab rats pay for their own research projects, even when dissection isn't part of the plan <grin>.

Linda Merle