Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2011-04 > 1303065936

Subject: Re: [S-I] history and Hume / Hulme
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 14:45:36 EDT

"Albion's Seed" by David Hackett Fischer is a very interesting cultural
history, definitely not new but well worth having on your shelf, and very
entertaining to read. Not absolutely "history".

My grandfather's sister married an Englishman named Thomas Hulme in
Portland, Oregon in 1899. (Father was successful merchant in London, brought
family to Arkansas where he ran mercantile business, then to British Columbia
where he was in mining. Mother and brothers ended up Portland, owning
plumbing businesses and Thomas was chief plumbing inspector for the city,
Seattle and Idaho [college professor, educated Harvard, Cornell, Stanford].)

When I researched this Hulme family I discovered that they had lived in
London (children baptized Marlebone church) and his father (also Thomas) was
born in Marchington, Staffordshire and mother in Newcastle, Staffordshire,
and grandparents (Eli Hulme son of John) also from that county.

Hope that is some help.

Ann Lamb

In a message dated 4/13/2011 12:50:06 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
"john.hume" <>
writes:

.................However, reading the UK's Daily Telegraph this morning
displays a very interesting article about emigrants to the USA. The title of
the piece proclaims that the people of East Anglia in the UK 'rule the
world. All this comes to light in a new book by a David Fischer entitled Albion
Seed. IT sounds very good so I'm going shopping today. It also informs us
that its been 150 years today that the American Civil War started.
In conclusion, if anyone has any HUME or HUMES information I would
appreciate any help
many thanks
John Hume
Nottingham