Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2011-04 > 1301937705

From: "Donna Nichols" <>
Subject: [S-I] Scotch-Irish stuff
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 13:21:45 -0400

Had to copy this of your, Linda..couldn't resist! Unlike my grandfather, I do not have red h air, but I did inherit the very bad temper. If I had a sword, I'd have removed a few heads myself, but the angels or fairies arranged that I would not have a sword and so many lives were spared

Several friends right now are glad I didn't have a sword over the last couple of weeks! That is the Scotch-Irish part of me...along with the Scots! I know I sure don't have any royalty for a lot of generations back...and I do know where the Rev. John Steele came from and through to arrive in Cumberland Co. Carlisle, PA by 1743.. He came from Londonderry, and had a bit of a reputation..as being a tad hardnosed. I also have read descriptions of him as the "Fighting Parson" which he was, and have pictures of Ft. Steele. Then I lived in the mountains of East Tennessee in pure Appalachia; that in itself was quite an experience. My husband's family back to the 1700's settled there, and considered themselves Scotch-Irish. They were all also Presbyterians, farmers, fighters, and whiskey runners! Oh, and yes, I have tried possum (too greasy), raccoon, whistle pig, along with good venison and bear.
If you want some interesting reading try this book for size...I learned a whole lot about my 4th great grandfather!!! It also will explain about the development of PA including the frontier areas. My family really gets started in Chapter 2..Sentence1 and 2.
http://chronicles.dickinson.edu/histories/sellers/

Donna

This thread: