Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2011-03 > 1300634246

From: "Edward Andrews" <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] SCOTCH-IRISH Digest, Vol 6, Issue 64
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 15:17:26 -0000

Hi Linda.
Sorry to nit pick, but prior to about the beginning of the 19th Century the
highlands were as well populated as the lowlands. From the 18th Century (and
we'll keep off detail), there were clearances most famously in the
Highlands, but there had been enclosures in the lowlands. However the
Industrial Revolution saw the great movement into the cities of the
lowlands, and that is where not only most of the population of Scotland were
from the mid 19th Century, but also where Irish of all persuasions settled.
And remember that some of them subsequently went to the Colonies /America.
Edward