Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2011-03 > 1299868320

From: Jerry Kelly <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] SCOTCH-IRISH Digest, Johnsons of the Iroquois
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:32:00 -0800 (PST)

Adding to Linda's good information below, in William Johnson's case, "Johnson" was a cover name for Mac Séan (the Ulster dialect version of 'Son of John', pronounced 'MacShane' in English), which is a branch of the Ó Néill (Grandson of Niall) family, which in turn is a branch of the Cinéal nEoghain (Kinship of Eoghan) of the Uí Néill In Tuaiscirt (Uí Néill of the north) of the Uí Néill (Descendants of Niall) of the Connachta (Descendants of Conn - here we're dealing with the major pre-Christian tribe which gave their name to Connacht) of the Féine (variously translated as 'nobles', 'free people', etc.) The Connachta took the area called Connacht by about the 4th Century A.D. from another people called the Fir nOl nÉcmacht. Niall's sons, including Johnson's ancestor Eoghan, expanded into Ulster in the mid-5th Century A.D.

Go raibh sé sin cabhrach / Hope that's helpful.

Le gach dea-ghuí / Best,
Jerry

Cló an Druaidh / The Druid Press
www.druidpress.com