Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2011-01 > 1296058862

Subject: Re: [S-I] Where to stay in Belfast
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 11:21:02 EST

Linda,

What a strange time that was! Brings back so many memories as that was the
first tour I organized, but then didn't go because of the bombing leaving
colleagues in Ireland to do the tour with you! So much has changed and then
in ways it has not! Now the taxi drivers are in business for themselves
doing Black Taxi Tours and teaching others about the troubles, then and now.
They've done a wonderful job adding interest to the Belfast and Derry
areas especially. If you're in Derry, a must do is a walking tour with Ronan
McNamara of the city walls. A truly non biased point of view on how
things work there. He's also done a BBC film of the tour. Incidentally, ex IRA
are being trained as tour guides in Derry as well.

I have to pine in as now that PRONI as moved, there are new hotels to
avail of and also if you remember Malone Lodge over in that same area, Linda,
had a fire last week... maybe two weeks ago, so a look see at damage around
would be prudent if anyone is traveling there soon.
Also, I am working on accommodation and great rates for genealogists
traveling on their own and will have that out to all of you shortly as well as
it will be listed and bookable on my website. Also, one of the best hotels
in Belfast that I use often on tour is the Europa, the most bombed hotel in
Europe. The customer service is impeccable, rooms are handy with plenty of
room / desks for spreading out research and it's close to everything.
Walking distance to shops and restauarants.

There is so much to do in the area and one could easily spend a week or
more just in the Belfasat/ Antrim area. We also include County Down on tour
now religiously to take in St. Patrick's Centre and time to the do St.
Patrick's Trail. Worth the drive and look see even if you're on your own
there. All of this can be done within an hour or two from Belfast, affording a
way to stay in one place and travel freely for days.

I will post soon for the rates at the new hotels near PRONI.

I also have a new article out on choosing accommodation @
_http://ulsterheritage.com/travel/accomodations.htm_
(http://ulsterheritage.com/travel/accomodations.htm)

Happy Wednesday everyone!

Ginger Aarons- Garrison, CTC, Director
Time Travel
P.O. Box 4427
Wilsonville, OR 97070
503-454-0897
tollfree and fax 877-787-7807
cell 503-421-0029
_www.timetraveltours.com_ (http://www.timetraveltours.com/)
MEMBERS OF : ASTA, ICTA, CLIA, ROTARY, GWA

In a message dated 1/26/2011 8:05:25 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,