Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2011-01 > 1295916970

Subject: Re: [S-I] Ulster Genealogy Summer School
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 19:56:10 -0500 (EST)

Actually it is year number two (first time they publicly publicized it).
These guys are good for establishing basic knowledge of Ulster and Ireland
resources. If you have limited money, this could be a valuable time for
learning how to do your future long-distance research. I know, and have
lectured/listened to most of these teachers, and they understand the genealogy
field, and constraints of American research.
So if this is the first time to Ireland (any first visit is a "good"
thing); and your relatively new to research then I would recommend attending.
If you have memorized Linda's posts over the years, then you'll be
disappointed in the lack of detailed research help; and may start an argument or
two ;) So your level of expertise, and the detailed research you have will
make this summer school useful or not.
If you go- we would all love to hear the report! :) And for the record,
I WANT any and all genealogists to attend, because I believe Ulster is
aggressively courting genealogists/ family historians. Attendance at this
school, the East Donegal schools, or the conferences like Balleymoney will
greatly enhance future research capabilities for foreign genealogists.

Colin Brooks
The 1718 Project

In a message dated 1/24/2011 6:30:58 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,