Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2010-12 > 1292297280

Subject: Re: [S-I] Two brickwalls gone, Thompson-Mc Cullock, 1747-1845
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 22:28:00 -0500 (EST)

Don,
Spelling on family name back then is probably "McCullough" or
"McCulloch". Ending of the surname is a hard "k" sound in old Ulster speak.
McCulloch is in Massachusetts circa 1730 and Maine circa 1766
There are eleven McCullogh men as "Ruling Elders" in Ulster from 1692 to
1718. It looks like they run south from Carrickfergus, County Antrim through
Belfast and then jog left (to the west) in to Down and Tyrone and Monaghan.

Go to Rootsweb and search under email lists with the above surnames. You
will find your "kin" or researchers of the family names. None of the
spellings are "wrong" so like Linda says don't sweat the little stuff. It looks
like the "..Cullo..." part of the surname is unique. Good luck

Colin Brooks
1718 Migration Project

In a message dated 12/13/2010 7:04:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,