Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2010-08 > 1282781490

Subject: Re: [S-I] Yup, you are still on the Scotch Irish list
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 00:11:30 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Shirley,

The state of PA did register births from 1930 to 1940. The state of PA does not view these as open records. I have deleted several dubious statements about the state of PA and records. They are slow. They will only send them to direct descendants. If you mention the word 'genealogy' they get even nastier and slower. So when you write to them, DO NOT mention the word genealogy. Say you need the information for legal reasons. This is what you are told in 'how to do PA genealogy' class <grin>.

Here's the website:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/birth_and_death_certificates/11596

Recently a client of mine ordered a record and it took six weeks or more to come. The marriage record I ordered (through a genealogist who walked up to the window in Roscommon, obtained it and mailed it) from Ireland took a week. Hmmm........

So what do we do if you are not a direct descendant? In PA there is much interest in obits and cemetery records.

The marriages are still recorded by counties. The counties vary greatly in their speed and friendliness. The County of Allegheny (Pittsburgh) tends to abide by the state rules. A client of mine spent weeks phoning them and sending money and begging them to search for his parents' marriage. They had lived in Pittsburgh all their lives. No marriage record. Long humiliating experience of begging clerks.

However Westmoreland County has the indexes on line! I figured we needed to do a county by county search and started there. Voila! We needed a certified copy (Irish citizenship) -- sent very quickly and I could do it for him.

So check about. Usually usgenweb has a county page with the info.

Carnegie Library in Pittsburgh has indexes of obits in local newspapers. Generally the county library or historical society has indexes. Sometimes a local library must be consulted. Ie Connellsville (Fayette Co) newspapers are indexed at the Connellsville Library. Uniontown (county seat) didn't have some key Connellsville indexes.

So here you win since the state has the birth record and you won't need the county. I believe they will search for 10 years (if your karma is good and the moon is full).

Besta luck. Tried the SSI? You can order the application form.

Linda Merle