Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2010-05 > 1275218040

From: "John & Anne Carey" <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] Owning Land
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 07:14:00 -0400
References: <1020A170-BAD1-4A6F-AF05-7D585A28A52F@gmail.com><539341734.1733361275185001519.JavaMail.root@sz0048a.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net>
In-Reply-To: <539341734.1733361275185001519.JavaMail.root@sz0048a.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net>

Do you know the Concession and Lot numbers for this land? If so, you could review the history of it through the records at the appropriate township office but you would have to go there unless you got lucky and they have been microfilmed. I was not that lucky when I searched for some of my ancestor's land. Usually only the first transfer is found in the centralized records. After that, land transfer is a local issue. Lots were usually 200 acres and the settlers were granted 100 acres or 1/2 of a Lot so it looks like you are dealing with the original parcel. Sometimes the assessment records for these local offices have family information like number of male and female children, etc. Most that I have seen are not indexed and are organized by Concession and Lot number.

You might get lucky and be able to find out online who was on the land in 1851. Have you tried looking at whether Schedules 1 and 2 of the 1851 census still exist for the sub-district where the land is? Schedule 1 was the nominal census and Schedule 2 the agricultural census. For many sub-districts, Schedule 1 has been lost but Schedule 2 survives. It gives the name of the farmer and the location of his farm by Concession and Lot number. You can browse what still exists at the Archives Canada s census site. http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/census/index-e.html

John Carey

From: [mailto:] On Behalf Of Judy Anderson
Sent: May 29, 2010 10:03 PM
Subject: Re: [S-I] Owning Land

Bruce County and the Halton area.

Judy

From: "Remclaughlin" <>
Sent: Saturday, May 29, 2010 6:00:17 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: [S-I] Owning Land

Where in Ontario, Judy? There are wonderful land records in Ontario. I
live in Ontario and might hazard a guess if I knew where. We know when
-- 1840, but where along with when is key.

Ruth

Sent from my iPod

On 2010-05-29, at 7:31 PM, Judy Anderson <> wrote:

> This is complicated....so I just have to get little sections of
> information to get to the big picture. I am trying to determine how
> possible would it have been for a person who lived in Ireland in
> 1840 to buy 100 acres in Canada. This would have been in Ontario,
> Canada.
> Judy
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "David Young" <>
> Sent: Saturday, May 29, 2010 11:52:22 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
> Subject: Re: [S-I] Owning Land
> What is the basis for your theory that the land was purchased when
> your POI [person of interest] was in Ireland? What township and what
> district was the land in?
> Where in Ireland was your POI?
> I seriously doubt a "normal" person in Ireland could purchase land in
> Canada in abstentia. However, the land barons [literally] in Ireland
> probably could have purchased or been given large tracts that they
> would then sell off.
> Judy wrote:
> At 12:26 PM -0600 5/29/10, wrote:
>> The land was purchased in Ontario in 1839 from a private person? It
>> consisted of 100 acres.? This individual died in Canada in 1858.?
>> The land was willed to his brother.? In his will he lists no wife or
>> children and is buried near his brother ALONE.? Almost everyone has
>> this guy married with about 7 kids which I believe to be wrong.? So
>> I am trying to prove all of this.
> --
> David N Young
> San Diego, CA
> researching Young, Norwood, Barrons, Smith, Pocock, Peacock, Moon
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and
> the body of the message
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and
> the body of the message

To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message