Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2010-05 > 1275218040

From: "John & Anne Carey" <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] Owning Land
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 07:14:00 -0400

Do you know the Concession and Lot numbers for this land? If so, you could review the history of it through the records at the appropriate township office but you would have to go there unless you got lucky and they have been microfilmed. I was not that lucky when I searched for some of my ancestor's land. Usually only the first transfer is found in the centralized records. After that, land transfer is a local issue. Lots were usually 200 acres and the settlers were granted 100 acres or 1/2 of a Lot so it looks like you are dealing with the original parcel. Sometimes the assessment records for these local offices have family information like number of male and female children, etc. Most that I have seen are not indexed and are organized by Concession and Lot number.

You might get lucky and be able to find out online who was on the land in 1851. Have you tried looking at whether Schedules 1 and 2 of the 1851 census still exist for the sub-district where the land is? Schedule 1 was the nominal census and Schedule 2 the agricultural census. For many sub-districts, Schedule 1 has been lost but Schedule 2 survives. It gives the name of the farmer and the location of his farm by Concession and Lot number. You can browse what still exists at the Archives Canada s census site. http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/census/index-e.html

John Carey