Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2010-05 > 1275177761

Subject: Re: [S-I] Owning Land
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 00:02:41 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Judy, what is key is to view the earliest recorded deed or grant as well as to know the history of the immediate area. As I already said, unless the person was claiming land as a settler under some specific legislature, he just paid some money. There were plenty of lawyers and banksand merchants through which to work to do this although one might use a private person -- a relative, friend, neighbor.

Obviously a person able to put up cash for land in Canada probably was better off than the average person. It signals that it might be useful to search the deeds for an inheritance (sometimes recorded as a memorial) or a sale of land in Ulster.

Of course it was legal for a resident of one British country to own land in another, if that is your concern. That had been going on since the Massachusetts Bay Colony.

Another way people in Ireland came by land overseas is inheritance. LOTS of people inherited land that way. They were not forced to immigrate. Supposedly if they abandoned the property and didn't pay taxes before too long, just like now, your property is resold to someone who will pay taxes on it. I've seen lots and lots of placenames in Ireland in wills and deeds in the USA -- and the same is true for Ontario.

This is a general statement -- we know nothing about the specific county and township and whether it was a designated military area, an Indian reservation, etc, etc...

In some US locales mortages survive and are microfilmed -- some of these are private mortgates (Person A agrees to purchase the land for Person B, who agrees to pay person A. If Person B gets behind on his payments, Person A sues him. I 've seen cases where Person B was taken to court and over and over for non-payment). These days banks loan the money. Back then, more likely some rich uncle would do it or some other connection.

This is different from the method of settling and developing the land, raising a few years crops and getting cash which was then applied to the warrant, survey, and purchase grant, or whatever remained to be done. No matter the locale, generally the legislatures had to eventually secure the rights of the small voter and settler over the rich land speculator who might have purchased thousands of acres with no intention of settling on them -- while he lived in luxury back east somewheres.

In the USA landowners who supported the British lost their land after the Revolution, but of course that's not a problem in Canada. Some were awarded land in Canada for their service in the Revolution -- another way Canadians got land from the government without paying for it. Usually the history of the township will tell you if United Empire Loyalists or soldiers settled there.

Linda Merle