Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2010-05 > 1275157585

From: "John & Anne Carey" <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] Owning Land
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 14:26:25 -0400

Hi, Judy.

Judy

It would be helpful if you could give more information in relation to your question, such as which of the Canadian colonies you are interested in and whether you mean buy land while living in Ireland with the intention of settling in Canada or live in Ireland and own land in Canada.

The time period you are interested in was still within the period of settlement for many parts of eastern Canada. Individuals like Colonel Thomas Talbot and companies like the Canada Company promoted large scale settlement with advertising campaigns in Europe. However, as far as I know, the settlers had to appear in person in Canada to receive the settlement 'locations'. Generally, the settlers were met by agents when the arrived who provided advice on promising areas for settlement. Once they were 'located', they had a time period to meet their settlement duties which had to be met for them to actually receive title to the land, which was known as the patent.

In the case of some of my ancestors, several of the men came to Canada and were located. Then, leaving a son or two behind to begin clearing land in order to meet their settlement duties they returned to get the rest of their families. In one case, my ancestor was located in 1831 but his return to Canada was delayed by the rebellions in 1837 and likely also by the European depression in 1837-38. By the time he was able to return to Canada in the 1840s, his sons had completed the settlement duties on three tracts of land and they applied for and received their patents the year he returned.

As far as I know, once you received the patent there was nothing stopping you from selling to land to whomever you chose or even returning to Europe and leasing the land or letting other members of the family work it.

John Carey
Hamilton, ON
CANADA