Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2010-05 > 1274991005

Subject: Re: [S-I] Anyone had success with the autosomal DNA thang?
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 20:10:05 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Karen, it's like everything else. The best choice is determined by your needs. So what are you trying to find? If you are working on the paternal paternal line, Y testing. Traditionally the largest firm (you need other people to match on ) is family tree dna (www.familytreedna.com). If the mother's line , they do that too.

If you want medical information, www.23andme.com has a great package. I got it and it is good. You can combine it with their autosomal DNA -- that's what is confusing us now. it tests ALL y our DNA strands. It'll give you also your mitochondrial DNA (mother's lin) and if you are male and/or have a Y chromosome, that, if you purchase both types of tests. So maybe that's the cheapest way to go if you want it 'all' 'now'. FTDNA now offers autosomal testing but we're trying to figure that out too. Avoid the autosomal unless you like being confused or are rich untill you're ready for the deep end of the pool.

If you want to get your toes wet with it, I'd go with Y chromosome testing. Most people are interested in the paternal line. Because you have the surname, it's a little easier to use and understand. Plus we've been doing it longer and people have figured out how to use it effectively. FamilyTreeDNA has a network of projects with administrators set up. ID your father's surname, track down a male descendent -- a brother or uncle -- and get him tested. I did that and so far got no matches so far, but I haven't done anything but 'fish' (stick pole in pond and wait). With one client, we actively searched for a man to test who descended from people with the surname in specific areas of Ulster. He matched the second guy perfectlly. Another client had his DNA tested but didn't know how to 'work the ropes'. Ie he hadn't joined the right DNA project -- www.ulsterheritage.com. Free! When he did join at my instigation the admin immediately realized he was a royal O'Neill -- a missing Mc!
Shane.

Interestingly the Royal O'Neills are a similar haplo to my dad but we aren't one. The Royals are not related to the rest of Niall's descendents due to a NPE, maybe in the 900's...but then they don't update me with new info any more than I get word of when they reshuffle the genome changing Thomas Jefferson's haplotype! So....but it seems a long time ago, before the Blacksmith's Son event in the late 1500s. (Wife of blacksmith claimed the O'Neill fathered her son and he acknowledged the kid who later became the head of the O'Neills).

To keep it simple, "try the Y" (my new Tshirt......).

Linda Merle