Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2010-05 > 1273318895

From: "Edward Andrews" <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] John's Irish Trip
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 12:41:35 +0100

There are three kinds of camera.

There are the security cameras, they are just about everywhere, the UK is a
surveillance society. The vary from a very obvious TV Camera to a small
black dome in shops. They are for security. You also get them as traffic
cameras on major roads and motorways as a way of keeping an eye on traffic
flow and the like Some of them are accessible on
http://www.trafficwatchni.com/site/default.asp for NI (which is very good
for drivers generally.

Then there are the speed cameras. You will see road signs with a picture of
a camera on them, thy are generally bluff. What you worry about are striped
boxes on a gray poll about 10 ft high. On the road are a series of parallel
lines. If you go past these cameras above the speed limit they will flash.
Depending where you are and what speed you are going they will flash again.
That means that they have taken two photos of you and they can tell the
speed you are going by counting the number of lines which you have covered.
They were old film technology and not all of them had film in them so you
might get away with it, however they are seemingly now fitting electronic
cameras in. Usually there is at least a 10% error allowed, and often 20%
However the general rule in not to risk it If you see the locals slowing
down there is one ahead.
I don't know if they have arrived in Ulster, but there are also zone
speeding cameras a very bad place or them is between Kilmarnock and about
Ballantrae on the A77 the road you are on for the Irish Ferries. If you
average speed between cameras is faster than the limit (and it is often 50
rather than the notional national 60) then you are booked. You lose 3 points
on your licence for each speed infringement. 12 points and you are banned
(though I don't know what the position is on foreigners. You have sometimes
similar to catch people jumping red lights.

Finally there are recognition cameras in vans. They are simply taking your
number plate to check that your car is licensed and insured. They check with
a date base, but are mostly harmless.
Hope that this helps
Edward Andrews