Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2010-03 > 1269984747

From: "Lee K. Ramsey" <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] Migration of 1718 group from Casco Bay to Northampton Co.,PA
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 17:38:38 -0400

The migration in 1719 to Pennsylvania would seem to be directed to the
Scotch-Irish settlement "at the forks of the Neshaminy" in what was then the
center of Bucks Co., PA, as Northampton Co, PA was not formed until 1752.
The land to this settlement had no ownership until it was purchased by
Chief-Justice Allen in 1735, and who sold title of land to the individual
settlers, bringing stability to this early community. Thus, no land deed
records until 1735. The Neshaminy Presbyterian Church was established about
1726 with William Tennent as its first pastor. Some of the early families
are identified as Jamison, Ramsey, Archibald, McCullough, McMicken,
Henderson and Wallace.

Some of the settlers at the forks of the Neshaminy settlers most likely were
part of the settlement at the forks of the Delaware (Easton) in East Allen
Township, in 1737, which became known as the "Craig Settlement" with Warwick
as its center. Warwick Township had been formed 1733 by residents of
Middleburg Township. Some of these early families are identified as Craig,
Jamison, Baird, Stewart, Hair, Long, Weir, Armstrong, Gray, Graham and
Wallace.

Lee Ramsey