Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2010-03 > 1269978727

Subject: Re: [S-I] Migration of 1718 group from Casco Bay to Northampton Co.,PA
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 15:57:50 EDT

An interesting parallel. Fifteen or more families of the Palatines
settled in the Mohawk Valley of New York made the trek overland from Schoharie to
the region in then Lancaster County PA drained by Tulpehocken and Swatara
creeks. Conrad Weiser wrote in his journal, "the people received news from
the land at Swatara and Tulpehocken in Pennsylvania. Many of them came
together, cut a way from Schoharie to the Susquehanna and brought their goods
there and made canoes and journeyed down to the mouth of the Swatara Creek
and drove their cattle overland in the spring of 1723. Thence they came
to the Tulpehocken settlement; later others followed and settled there, at
first without permission of the owner of the land or company, or from the
Indians from whom the people had not yet bought the land." Weiser, Journal,
as quoted in Walter A. Knittle, Early Eighteenth Century Palatine
Emigration (Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1937), 205-206.

In a message dated 3/30/2010 2:45:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,