Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2010-03 > 1269975849

Subject: Re: [S-I] Migration of 1718 group from Casco Bay to Northampton Co., PA
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 19:10:13 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Ruth, thanks for this information! I alas have not researched anyone in this Casco Bay to PA
migration, though it is believed many left New England for Pennsylvania in the early 1700s. Not only was
the climate improved, but Pennsylvania offered freedom of religion and, in the early 1700s, welcomed them.
So wonder is any remained. Once in PA, the next generation moved down the wagon road into Virginia. Many VIrginianas moved to Tennessee after the Revolution, esp. eastern TN. Depending on the area of TN,
they might have gotten a grant due to military service in North Carolina. Virginia soldiers received land in
the future Kentucky, not TN. But by the time the soldiers came to TN, eastern TN was largely in private
hands so the military grants are in the middle and west, with some federal land grants as well. I had to do
some research in the area. I'm no expert. A lot of the indexes are microfimed and in LDS, but in the end
we had to use an expert to search the original North Carolina landgrants, which he found. The grant
was missing from the TN state copy. The guy charged us $3 or some such amount to send us the grant.
(not $300 like we were charged for a probate packet once....grrrrrr.....).

However your experience where a surprising DNA match sets you off on another direction is somewhat
typical. In my one situation, where we were looking for matches to Virginia (To TN) settlers from the 1770s,
our match was to an Australian! He had excellent proof of descent from a man in a town in Tyrone. We
knew about this man but no proof of relationship till the DNA match half the way around the world.

It's possible that the Londonderry family sent other sons to America independently of Casco Bay. This is called 'chain migration'. So you cannot create a link between Casco Bay and TN because the link is back
to Ireland.

With a common name like Smith a good DNA match is really appreciated.

Linda Merle