Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2010-03 > 1268055140

Subject: Re: [S-I] symbol for group
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 13:32:20 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Boyd, your symbol works for you, but in Tennessee, I am not sure anyone would understand it.
We'd have to spend lots of Euros/dollars doing market research to be sure of course. The first
time I ran into the Red Hand was in a book. It makes no sense here. You'd have to explain it.

That's one of this ethnic group's problems: we became different in the various places we went to.
One person suggested to me a symbol with the Union flag ....well now, that won't work in Tennessee
either. It makes the bearer seem like a Tory (in the American sense : ie a Loyalist in the American
Revolution, descendents now in Canada).

Perhaps a shamrock impaled on a thistle kind of gets the point across in a universal fashion?
(just joking!)

Linda Merle

Sent: Monday, March 8, 2010 7:40:46 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern

As a symbol for the group, you may wish to see the symbol of the East
Donegal Ulster Scots Association, of which I am a member:
http://www.eastdonegalulsterscots.com/peace.html

As you can see, it incorporates the shamrock for the Irish connection, a
thistle for the Scottish connection and the Red Hand of Ulster, from the
famous Celtic myth, for the Ulster connection.

Boyd Gray

http://familytrees.genopro.com/boydgray26/Boyd/default.htm

http://www.westulstergenealogy.com/