Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2010-02 > 1267237227

Subject: Re: [S-I] Melancthon
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 02:20:27 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Susan,

>" Melancthon died on April 19, 1560, his hopes for reconciliation of the Christian Churches not fulfilled to this day".

>1560 is the same year Anderson name came to Ireland with 'The Stewarts of Ballintoy'.

In 1560 there was not even an ethnic group called "Scotch Irish". The term "Scoto Hibernicus" was used by Queen Elizabeth to identify Catholic Scots highlanders in the McDonald army who were infesting northern Ulster. The future lowland settlers were still in Scotland and England in 1650 where they would remain for almost 60 more years.

And those Andersons were probably my ancestors.

Linda Merle

" Melancthon died on April 19, 1560, his hopes for reconciliation of the Christian Churches not fulfilled to this day".

1560 is the same year Anderson name came to Ireland with 'The Stewarts of Ballintoy'.

Susan