Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2010-02 > 1266863365

From: "Edward Andrews" <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] Interpreting Vague Religion in the 1911 Irish census
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 18:29:25 -0000

What it would have meant was that they would have probably rejected the
"Official" churches as being too "worldly". 1911 would really be at the high
point of "Evangelicalism", though tied in with the Victorian crisis of
faith. A host of "wee meetings" had come out of the various revivals
especially from 1859, though there had bee Revivals in Ulster from the 17th
Century right up to the present day.

In a community a number of people would have a religious experience and
would join together to found a hall where to quote a sign which I have seen
"If God Permits, His word will be preached this Sabbath evening at 7
o-clock" Someone would give a piece of land, someone else would provide
materials, others would provide labour. Very often these families would
continue in the leadership of the hall down the years.

It is important to distinguish between the truly Independent Halls and
those who are Non Denominational. The Non Denominational will represent a
kind of evangelical ecumenism with people from a number of denominations
meeting together.

With the independent ones you pay your money and take your pick. There
could quite literally be people with roots just about anywhere. A lot of
them were some kind of dispensationalist, others some form or pietism. What
I would live to do is to go round the halls which survive and discover what
they actually do believe and where their preachers come form (there were a
number of quite complicated groupings of lay preachers with in other places
there were very restricted fellowship. The whole thing is very complicated
and they could have their roots anywhere, or share common roots. As I say
the easiest way to research them is find the Hall and see it you can get any
response from them.

As far as Linda's question about records, I've no idea, Remember that most
of these except the Brethren are independents. If you are lucky they might
have sent their records to PRONI more likely they are mouldering in
someone's loft. Brethren are much better organised, and you are more likely
to have results from the Open Brethren. The Exclusive Brethren (mainly the
North East of Scotland) but I believe some places in Ulster are secretive to
the extreme.
Edward

This thread: