Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2010-01 > 1263587601

From: "Donna Nichols" <>
Subject: [S-I] Failure notice
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 15:33:21 -0500

It isn't just last names getting screwed up! I had hit all kinds of brick walls on my Kennedy line (not Irish)..because of a misspelled word in the 1860 IL US census. My great grandfather was Urban Bernard Kennedy. My grandfather was Walter Urban Kennedy. I got in trouble because I did not use Urban as a middle name for my eldest son because it was a family name. I could NOT find Urban Bernard anywhere. I knew he was born in IL.. About 2 years ago, I got a message from a distant cousin, it turns our. She recognized something else..and then we both checked the 1860 census again..and someone had written Erwin Bernard Kennedy.. In another record, it was Irving, and then there was Irwin...Got hold of a death record, and a whole bunch got untangled.
And, as for the Baird's YEP! but now the other donna threw in another way for me to look for my husband's Bairds who came to NJ really early on.

Polish names have also had a way of getting really garbaged up too. I am still fighting three of them!

Donna

This thread: