Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2009-11 > 1258992358

Subject: Re: [S-I] Admin Posts administrative email to list!
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 11:05:58 -0500

Linda -- I realize this is going to everyone but I want to thank you for your kind assist.
My son, too, warns me about AOL. I'm too lazy to change. I enjoy all your posts, and
I thank you specifically for your help here. Best, Dannye

Sent: Mon, Nov 23, 2009 11:01 am
Subject: [S-I] Admin Posts administrative email to list!

Hi folks, pardon for the prior email......though perhaps it'll help you out one
of these days..... Realizing the person was on the list still (and so his/her
post went to us all instead of just me) and that he/her email to the list went
to the list (instead of just me) apparently didn't 'sink in' too deeply, causing
me to commit the faux pas of posting admin emails to the list. Mea
culpa....Gee...well, that's it for my Latin (and French).

I had to deal with this problem with another site than AOL when I left a
California ISP and moved (twice), having them forward email to my current
Comcast email. Over the eons a lot of spam got sent on, causing comcast to
decide the ISP was a spam site (so all Comcast customers stopped getting all
email from itl). Wow, was THAT a mess. The ISP was not happy to have all the
email coming from them to comcast blocked because of ME.... They were all pretty
mad. It took a long time to figure out the problem (me). So they then allowed me
to log onto my old account and to unsub from all the things I was subbed to from
it (and spam all the spam so it quit going to comcast). Then they killed my
account (and it's a good thing I was 2000 miles away or maybe I'd have ended up
with at least a few broken fingers). And I had to find a page at Comcast where
you entered the names of sites you had inadvertently id'ed as spammers. Happens
a lot. Then the ISP called off the dogs, the helicopter!
s went away, the death threats stopped coming so frequently, and I was a happy
camper again.

AOL (or an AOL user) has often gotten rootsweb listed as a spam site because it
sends out large volumes of info. Some ISPs have 'bots' that automatically list
sites sending huge amounts of email as spammers. Other times it's a user who
does it accidently. 200% of the time you don't know. However Rootsweb has spent
many hours (ie money) trying to re-convince AOL that it is (still) not a
spammer. There are many reasons why AOL stock has taken the big plunge and that
users are fleeing it. This is one of them: monolithic, hard to communicate with.
The other is the nasty stuff it does to your computer -- otherwise known as the
client (or victim).

You can tell I don't like AOL......... It also impedes learning. I recall my
mother, once an AOL victim, who didn't know she was using a browser when she was
using a browser. You couldn't help her because she hadn't learned the right
computer terms. You couldn't even say "Start up your browser" (on the phone,
when performing the new mandatory parental maintenance task -- free computer
support -- now required of all children, even if they are 60.)

If only I had thought to film a horrible three week family experience we had
that involved the entire family, entitled "Grandma's Computer Gets a Nasty Virus
[because she wasn't running any virus protection]". Grandma got a broadband line
(replacing dialup)......She was asked by everyone if she had a virus protection
program running, but she didn't know what that was, and instead of saying
"what's that?" she said "Yes, of course!" Don't do this! Your children will
never forget or forgive. It may soon be on the list as an early sign of
Alzheimers too and cause you to automatically subjected to testing that a 20
year old can't pass (things like what day is it? Uhhhh.....What is 9x9? Who
knows? Are we still in 6th grade? That's when we had to know that). If it does
happen, take the computer to Staples or one of those places that fix these
things. The cost is cheap compared with what it'll do to your family
members...... And if you do this without telling The Children, hey, they!
won't know know about you for a while yet <grin>.

Hopefully our lister will resolve the problem with AOL before he/she does get
unsubbed by rootsweb due to the errors coming back from AOL and he/she is back
to square one. Only then the email request will only come to me. It's good to
learn to deal with these problems since one does get removed from lists due to
errors and have to resub.

Hope you AOLers are reading this,

Linda Merle (Bad rule breaking List Admin sitting in corner, tail between her
legs...oops, that's the dog's tail she's sitting on....)