Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2009-05 > 1242755608

From: "Connie Shotts" <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] Register of Derry Cathedral 1642-1703
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 13:53:28 -0400

Thanks, Linda. As always, you give the best answers! I am look for the
family of James Bruster/Brewster/Bruister, born about 1745 near Coleraine
and left for America about 1760-1765. I believe the family was originally
Scots and had probably been in Northern Ireland for at least a couple of
generations prior to James' birth. In Virginia, James was a sheep farmer
and I suspect that he/his family were sheep farmers in Ireland as well. All
I know for sure is that in 1798 a Robert Bruster, probably a cousin of James
(who was then in Jessamine County KY), died in Mercer County KY and in his
will left his estate to the sons of his brother who were living "about three
miles from Coleraine" in Ireland when he left Ireland in the 1770s. That is
the only solid lead I have back to Ireland; otherwise it's just the family
lore that says James Brewster was born in County Derry Ireland around 1745
and came to America as a young man.

I appreciate your help and your recommendations. I take them to heart and
search as you recommend -- just haven't found anything yet, and know that I
may not from that time period -- but I keep hoping and looking!