Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2009-05 > 1241967345

From: linumbienn <>
Subject: [S-I] Co. Antrim Memorial Stones
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 10:55:45 -0400

Hello all,
Some information that I have found:

I ordered a film from the Family History Center which ended up to be a
series of issues of the Ulster Journal of Archaeology, 1900.
(Microfilm # 1696658) It proved to be very interesting and I did find
what I was looking for:
"A Catalogue of the 18th and early 19th Century Estate Maps in the
Antrim Estate Office, Glenarm, Co. Antrim" by J. Frey.
This article was, of course, in the last 1/4 of the microfilm!!

It is 'just' a Catalogue, BUT the introduction does say that:
"Unfortunately the 1734 maps have no tenants' holdings or land
utilization marked on them."
"The 1782 survey, on the other hand, marks the tenants' holdings and
their division into different land utilization categories, including
woods and plantations, the houses, cabins and some of the 'forts'."

I do not know if these maps are still available, as the article was
published in 1900. It appears that there 'might' be a wealth of
information in them, IF they are still available and permission could
be had to look at them.
----------------------------

I also found another article of much interest and found the person
(Thom/Thome) we we have been researching.

Ulster Journal of Archaeology, Vol. VI, No. 2., April, 1900 (above
article also in this issue)

"Armorial Sculptured Stones of the County Antrim", by Francis Joseph
Bigger and Herbert Hughes.
They began in the summer of 1899 to ..."visit all the churchyards of
the county, and to make rubbings of the arms on the tombstones in
each, and at the same time to copy the inscriptions." They did this
to 250 gravestones.
"At present merely the arms and inscriptions will be recorded with
incidental notes."
They stated that there will be "final notes".

I have not found the 'final notes', as yet nor do I know if all 250
stones are in the above issue and the same microfilm.

I coped 2 pages (which included 6 of the stones): Larne Parish
Churchyard with the spelling as found in the article. Each below has
a photo of the rubbings, not included.

MANFOD
"Here Lyeth y Bodies of Hugh Madfod Who Died Oct y 15th 1751 Aged 75
years also his Firft Wife Elizabeth Snodey Died Aug y 12 1726."

SHUTTER
"Here are interred the remains of two of JAMES Shuller's [Mari_ _ _]
Children vit. HUGH Who died 15th September 1738 And _heal_th who
departed this life the _ of January 1757 aged 17 years. ALSO JAMES
the son of the above named JAMES who died the 19th of January 1827
aged 79 years. [&c.]"

SMITH
"Here lyeth the bodies of 3 children of Adam Smiths viz. Hugh, Sara
and Anabella the last died June 14 1786 & his grandchild Elira Smith
died 1st January 1800 also the above named Adam Smith who departed
this life 10 Jan 1804 aged 59 years. Also his son James Smith who
departed this life October 8th 1811 aged 42 years. No man in his
station lived more estem or died more regreted. Pecullar delicacy of
morals marked the whole tenor of his life. &c."

STUART
"Here lyeth the body of James Stuart Who died Jan 31 1766 aged 33
years. also his Mother Agness Stuart who died 5th july 1796 Aged 80
years
Also his father James Stuart who died 15 July 1799 aged 90 years."
A note here: "The arms are similar to those worn by Stewart of
Ardgowan, Scotland."

THOM
"Here lyeth the body of Robert Thom Who departed this life 9th March
1793 aged 87 years."

WATE (WATT)
"Here Lyeth body of James Wate Who died Nov br y 29th 1751 aged 30
years."

Question: Is there any information or website that might discuss the
engravings on Irish headstones? Such as, what does an engraving of a
stag represent?

Hope the above information helps someone.

Sue

This thread: