Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2009-03 > 1237753433

From: "Edward Andrews" <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] The Seceders
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 20:23:53 -0000

Thank you for the kind comments.
I have also been asked to do a piece about confessions and subscription, so
I'll try and get round to both.
Basically the Seceders were very strict in their Church Discipline. Your
description of your Grandfather would fit the bill, though this behaviour
was not unusual in Irish Presbyterianism generally. The main body of
Seceders had been involved with the setting up of the General Assembly of
the Presbyterian Church in Ireland in 1840. There was of course a Scottish
Seceders Church in Belfast until (I think) the 1950s.
Edward