Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2009-03 > 1237399096

From: "Virginia" <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] History Channel Show on Irish Immigration to US
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:58:16 -0700

One of my husband's Quaker ancestors, Isaac Hasket(t) was listed in an
earlier edition of the DAR Patriot Index. I was a bit puzzled by the
apparent inconsistency of a fighting Quaker, but discovered that family
records credited him with nursing sick Union soldiers in his home (they
weren't wounded, but had some infectious disease). When the DAR tightened
their documentation rules he was removed from the list. The record of his
service probably existed only in undocumented family genealogies. Quite a
number of formerly accepted Patriots were dropped due to lack of official
documentation. It doesn't necessarily mean they didn't actually perform the
service, just that official documentation was lacking. If anyone can come up
with some, they can be reinstated. (Members who joined under their names
were "grandfathered in", but their daughters & nieces can no longer join
using that Patriot.)
Virginia