Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2009-02 > 1235228758

From: "Pam Gaudio" <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] Emigration from Ireland to Canada
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 07:05:58 -0800

Thanks Karen.
Pam

[mailto:] On Behalf Of Karolyn Simpson
Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2009 6:52 AM
Subject: [S-I] Emigration from Ireland to Canada

My ggrandfather, John McBride, and his wife emigrated from Ireland 1820-1822
and landed at Quebec, Canada, then moved to Albany, NY where John worked on
the construction of the Erie Canal. (this information from his obit)
I had heard or read someplace that many people sailed to Canada because it
was less expensive than to America.
Karolyn

> Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 23:14:18 -0500
> Subject: Re: [S-I] S-I Emigration to Canada - Book suggestions
>
> If I get anything, I'll be happy to send it on to you. Nothing so far
> Karen
> ---- Pam Gaudio <> wrote:
> > Karen,
> > Although I can't help you I'd be interested to know what information
comes
> > your way.
> > Pam
> > British Columbia

Armagh)
> > to Canada in 1840, I am in need of learning more. What port(s) might
they
> > have left on? what ship(s) might they have taken? What were the
conditions
> > on the ship? How long a trip was it? Where did they land -- directly
in
> > Canada, where? or were they more likely (or less likely) to land in an
> > American port and then travel up to Canada. Any ideas will be helpful.
> > Thanks,
> > Karen Hart Anthony
> >
> > ---- wrote:
> > > It's warmer down here, and lot more land on which to settle . Oh yea,
by
> > 1790 America had over 100 years on creating a "modern, settled"
> > civilization. Most of Canada in 1790 (especially where the S-I oved too)
was
> > wilderness or border wilderness land. I also recall something about
freedom
> > and independence down here :) Not that we have any left today!! :)
> > >
> > > Colin Brooks
> > > The 1718 Project

S-I

> > > emigration to America, but not Canada.
> > >

> > > Why did so many go to America and not as many (it seems) go to Canada?
> > >

> > > Thanks!
> > >

> > > Jeanne

body
> > of