Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2009-02 > 1235187043

From: "Murray Bell" <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] S-I Emigration to Canada - Book suggestions
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 22:30:43 -0500

Karen

I was lucky enough to find the ship my ancestor came on. I got it through the "Irish Emigration Research Project" who unfortunately don't seem to be in operation anymore. It was through a google search using surname & year. His first name was spelt wrong which complicated things.

His name was Jeremiah Bell and he sailed from Liverpool with his wife & infant son arriving in New York on the ship Frankfort on March 19, 1840. The ship record shows his country of origin as Ireland & I believe he was from cavan Or fermanagh but have met a roadblock here. Shortly after finding the ship record, I found him on the 1842 Canada census as a tenant farmer in Fitzroy Twp, Carleton Cty, Ontario. I have seen accounts of others who went by water to Prescott, Ontario & then walked through the bush to Fitzroy. He was a tenant on a farm owned by a David Elliott. Since his wife is an Elliott, there is an obvious connection. However, after these 2 great breakthroughs in a short time span, I am at a standstill.

Not sure if this helps but thought I would share my experience.

murray Bell