Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2009-02 > 1233717860

From: Webmail bjl <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] Worse weather?
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 20:24:20 -0700
References: <C7F8BDCA30A04518ADA9D0225B797B73@WoodyPC><1909560539.3175871233507028383.JavaMail.root@sz0106a.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net><9b0345230902010918s3150d800y712b66b43ca49730@mail.gmail.com><d8f804d6bf24ee187c498270d3170991@verizon.net>
In-Reply-To: <d8f804d6bf24ee187c498270d3170991@verizon.net>

That is what we are doing, GETTING OVER IT!!
I think this is a nice break in a too-long winter, and if it helps some of
us to hear something pretaining the living for a change, let's just join in
and enjoy it, o.k?

A common researcher,
Bj

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Marlene Creech <>wrote:

> Gee, Beverly:
> I wonder if my Scots-Irish ancestors who come from two or three
> different counties,
> had high blood pressure. I wonder if occasional meaningless chatter
> bugged them.
> M.
> On Feb 1, 2009, at 12:18 PM, Beverley Clarkson wrote:
> > OK All, I m going to bite the bullet.
> > I LOVE this list and Linda is a WONDER, but, frankly, if we wanted a
> > weather
> > list, I could probably outstory everyone here. If not, you have my
> > deepest
> > sympathies.
> > The odd mention is fine, but please, couldnt we get back to Scotch
> > Irish
> > history? ENOUGH already!!!!!
> > I say this including you, Linda, who once called me a bottom feeder
> > for, I
> > seem to recall, possibly looking at family history less than 200 years
> > old,
> > and I didnt respond; just stood corrected and ready to learn.
> > But I am going CRAZY here.
> > Its WINTER.
> > The seasons, and climate, are changing. Snow falls. Get over it.
> > Sorry for anyone I ve offended. I just needed to explode. Way too much
> > provocation.
> > Beverley
> > Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
> > also lived in points far north!
> > On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 12:50 PM, <> wrote:
> >> Bill, yes, how thick is the ice? The ALlegheny has froze over and
> >> people
> >> are watching for ice jams here in balmy south-western PA.
> >> So....who among us has the worse weather? Maybe we can aware some
> >> kind of
> >> prize.
> >> Apparently Bill in Erie is the man to beat with his 129 inches of
> >> snow this
> >> year. Can anyone beat this?
> >> Linda Merle
> >> ----- Original Message -----
> >> From: "W.F. Stephens" <>
> >> To:
> >> Sent: Sunday, February 1, 2009 6:01:39 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
> >> Subject: Re: [S-I] Researcher recommendation
> >> Bill:
> >>
> >> How thick is the ice on the lake?
> >> Woody Stephens
> >> ----- Original Message -----
> >> From: "William McKinney" <>
> >> To: <>
> >> Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2009 7:03 PM
> >> Subject: Re: [S-I] Researcher recommendation
> >>> Linda,
> >>>
> >>> Since you ask, here's Erie snowfall picture so far:
> >>>
> >>> Friday's total -- 6.9 inches
> >>> January's total -- 59.2 inches
> >>> This season -- 129.5"
> >>>
> >>> So, we boast the fifth snowiest winter since they've been keeping
> >>> records
> >>> of
> >>> such things here in Erie, and we still have February, March and
> >>> April to
> >>> go.
> >>> Yes, I said April. For those of you not fortunate enough to have
> >>> grown up
> >>> in
> >>> northwestern Pa., we have Aprils on record of up to nearly 20
> >>> inches, and
> >>> routine months of February and March with accumulations of 30 inches.
> >>>
> >>> Will we set a record this year? Let's put it this way, we now need
> >>> than
> >>> 20 inches for the rest of this season. So, it's hard to imagine a
> >> scenario
> >>> in which we do not shatter our record.
> >>>
> >>> Unfortunately, we didn't break our January snowfall record. We came
> >>> in a
> >>> putrid third. The snowiest was 62.4 inches in 1978; the second
> >>> snowiest
> >>> was
> >>> 59.9 in 2004. But neither of those years had preceding months with
> >>> any
> >>> kind
> >>> of real snowfalls.
> >>>
> >>> Gotta wonder what it was like for our ancestors who didn't have snow
> >>> blowers, automobiles with heaters, stores within easy reach. Guess
> >>> that's
> >>> why so few of us up here in Pennsylvania's ice box don't complain
> >>> much.
> >>> Fact
> >>> is, we kind of like setting records.
> >>>
> >>> Bill
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> -------------------------------
> >>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> >>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
> >> the
> >>> quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> >>>
> >> the
> >> quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> > --
> > Beverley Clarkson
> > Sambro Head, Nova Scotia
> > -------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> > with the word 'unsubscribe' without
> > the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
> quotes in the subject and the body of the message