Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2009-02 > 1233612292

Subject: Re: [S-I] Worse weather? Researching MCFARLAND
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 22:04:52 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Nancy,

A lot of resources are indexed in the Genealogical Publishing Co's webpages.
http://www.genealogical.com/ . There are Robert McFarlands in various collections of VA and PA collections. Have you looked at all these?

If not, then do so. You don't buy the books. First you check www.worldcat.com to see where the closest books are. Sometimes y ou can find free lookups on Lookup Lists at rootsweb. You can see if the CD is in genealogy.com's website and join for a short time or find someone who is a member who will do lookups for free or for exchange. There are also lists atrootsweb for selling second hand CDs, books, etc. If the FHL has the book you (www.familysearch.org) you can fill out a form and for a little money they will photocopy the pages you need. The pages you need are IDed at genealogy.com. And don't forget to check google books. Sometimes it is free. Or find lookups at a county page (www.usgenweb.com ).

However the search at genealogy.com is pretty good.

I may have a client who is looking for a similar person: manifests in se Ohio...PA or VA?? When I check his name, all I get are VA references. Very interesting!

Linda Merle

This thread: