Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2009-02 > 1233587987

From: Sally Brandon <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] Researching MCFARLAND
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 09:19:47 -0600 (CST)

Nancy,

Sorry if you've been searching in PA and know these things already. In
case not,

Dauphin County was not yet formed in 1748, it was part of Lancaster
County. You'd find your man on the east side of the Susquehanna River.
A quick look at my connected drafts map of Hanover Township where my
Brandons were in 1730s and 1740s shows no McFarland.

I know I've come across early McFarlands or variant spelling, however,
on the west side of the river in Cumberland County. Some are on the
Blunston license lists. (See the list archives for discussions on the
licenses.) The Rev. Swaim even named one of his neighborhood divisions
of Cumberland Co.'s Blunston licenses the MacFarlane neighborhood.

PA's got so much more online than when I first started out. Some I've
found useful:

County land warrants:

http://www.phmc.state.pa.us/bah/dam/rg/di/r17-88WarrantRegisters/r17-88AllCountiesInterface.htm

Pennsylvania Archives:
http://www.footnote.com/search.php?query=pennsylvania+archives

PA Rev. War pay cards:
http://www.digitalarchives.state.pa.us/archive.asp

Best of luck,
Sally Brandon

http://www.genealogy.com/users/b/r/a/Sally-A-Brandon/

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 11:29 PM, Nancy wrote:

> On the genealogy front, I am still working on DH's MCFARLAND history
> and not
having a lot of luck getting past ROBERT MCFARLAND born 1748, where we
aren
t sure.  Some accounts say Dauphin, PA and some accounts say Ireland but
no
idea where in Ireland.  Have found a few land records in Trumbull Co.
Ohio
where he moved at one point.  We did go down there and did some scouring
around and found a few more tidbits of info but can't seem to find when
or
if he came over from Ireland or even who his parents are.  Stumped.

Nancy McFarland
In Harbor Springs, northern Michigan

This thread: