Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2008-11 > 1226180610

Subject: Re: [S-I] I wonder if anyone can tell me how early the Scot-...
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 21:43:30 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Marlene, fortunately, the governments in the past were too busy with other issues to pass laws on what the name of our ethnic group is. Most scholars (though not all) are gentlemen and ladies and rarely pummel anyone about it. That doesn't apply to the rest of us. I've been abused for 'misuse' of the term. I fear the next time that happens I will do some pummeling of my own........

Anyway, the Scotch Irish Society of America is a scholarly organization whose scholars have researched the situation thoroughly and published their research. Anyone can read their journal or submit additional research: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~sisusa/ .

I've spent many a dreary day reading old Scottish parish records in which the ancestors of today's Scots purists call themselves "Scotch". It's a neolism. The issue gives our enemies much cause for howling laughter. So much real stuff to fight about in this world and we fight about this? What idiots. We all can call ourselves whatever we like, but we must refrain from abusing or bullying others over it.

However the corruption is the other way as Scotch was definitely used for people in America in the 1700s (if I recall correctly), by Queen Lizzie in the 1500s, proceeded by #$#$#$%%!!! and refering to Catholic highlanders (not the ancestors of lowland Scots who would one day settle there after she was dead), and as I said, in the parish records of lowland Scotland.

But as long as nothing too offensive preceeds the Scotch or Scots, I try to not take offense, myself. It was and is a free country but if you really anger me, I invoke a mean Irish fairy curse. My mother once cursed a guy with four flat tires and he had them all on the way home. No one messes with us twice......and it's neither the Scot or Scotch in us you best should fear.

This topic comes up periodically on this list and is much dreaded as there is hardly ever anything intelligent said about it, just my grandma this and that and a few lecturings by self appointed purity police.

God bless the Irish -- at least they fight over real issues....not a couple letters. Really, is there another ethnic group this idiotic on the entire planet? It's embarrassing.. People laugh, you know. Especially the Irish.

Help! We need a thread on religion or politics, fast......just joking!

Linda Merle (SI Admin)